GODencounters is a movement of young adults who are wholeheartedly seeking a 24/7 experience of GOD, recklessly living for His renown



June 1, 2013

Trust Me by Dick Duekrsen

"Trust God from the bottom of your heart; don't try to figure out everything on your own. Listen for God's voice in everything you do, everywhere you go; he's the one who will keep you on track." — Proverbs 3:5, The Message

"Trust Me," God says, "I will take your confused, chaotic and broken life and give you purpose, peace and healing."

But I find it hard to trust.

When I trust I have to yield control, and I'm not sure I want to do that. Down deep in my mind I'm afraid that if I choose to trust God, He'll change far too many things about how I live, and I rather like doing what I want to do, when I want to do it.

"Trust Me," God says.

And I listen, as if responding to a voice mail invitation left by a telemarketer.

"Trust Me," God says as I review my VISA bill.

"Trust Me," God says as I negotiate the moguls of the highway.

"Trust Me," God says as the doctor calls about the results of Mom's MRI.

When I face a difficult decision, I hear His whispered invitation. When my heart wants to lash out and cause pain to someone who deserves it, His whispered offer fills my mind. "Trust Me. There is a better way."

So, I've been listening, or at least turning my hearing aid up so His voice comes through more clearly. The results have been a bit frightening. His voice keeps challenging me to rely on Him when I'm really more comfortable relying on myself.

The results have also been settling.

Yesterday, when I was frenetically attempting to accomplish three impossible projects in the same 10-minute space, He offered peace in exchange for my stress. Then, when I was to make a presentation for which I was unprepared, He arrived with a solution that was far superior to anything I had planned.

Beside my bed last night I prayed for Him to take charge of an issue that seems to have no possible resolution. "Trust Me," He responded. And I slept well.

Practice is making it easier for me to trust. And the results are awesome! An intense inner joy rises to replace worry and fear. Calm takes the place of tension. Thoughtfulness puts out anger's fire.

"Trust Me," God says.

And I smile with expectation!

ENCOUNTER: What life issue will you trust God in? Where are you finding yourself hesitate? Share your reasons.

No comments: