GODencounters is a movement of young adults who are wholeheartedly seeking a 24/7 experience of GOD, recklessly living for His renown



April 5, 2014

Pray for THAT Guy?

While I was attending an Adventist college a few years back I got along with just about everyone there.  I thought my fellow students were great, and they generally seemed to like me, too.  Everyone was just so friendly, from the school's president down to the janitor on my dorm hall.  Everyone, that is, except for this one guy.

Mr. Jenkins was the head of campus security, and I am hard pressed to think of anyone who liked this man.  He made negative comments about the student body, and he harassed us constantly for not parking just so!  Any time his name was mentioned, someone had a story about how they didn't like him and they usually had a specific reason.

One day I was heading off to deliver a projector to a classroom on the other side of campus when I noticed that there were two squad cars-with lights flashing-out in front of the administration building.  A couple of seconds later, an ambulance came screaming onto campus.  I came to learn that Mr. Jenkins, while trying to stop someone from leaving before the police could arrive, had been hit by the fleeing car.  At first I didn't know what to think.  A part of me wanted to laugh, but another part felt
horrible for what had happened.  I continued on my delivery still mulling this over in my head.

That night in the cafeteria the news was everywhere, but for the most part people thought it was funny.  The general consensus was that it was not an undeserved accident.  The next day on my way to chapel, I overheard some students talking.  "You know, I really hope we don't have to have a big long prayer for this guy.  I think I might just leave chapel if that happens."  

I was in shock.  Here I was on an Christian campus, and all the talk I'd heard about the last day or so was how Mr. Jenkins deserved what he got, and I never once heard a single shred of sympathy for the man.  Part of the shock I felt was my own guilt for having many of the same thoughts as I heard voiced by others.

I began to think of something Paul said.  "If your enemy is hungry, feed him;  if he is thirsty, give him a drink; for in so doing you will heap coals of fire on his head.  Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good. (Romans 12:20)"  Was I doing that?  I was ashamed to say that, even though I knew that I should do that, I didn't really want to.  That's when some of Jesus' words really hit home: "You shall love your neighbor as yourself.' There is no other commandment greater than [this].  (Mark 12:31)"  Wasn't Mr. Jenkins my neighbor in Christ?  Didn't I see him in church every Sabbath? 

Often times in our lives we seek to encounter God through the good things that happen to us.  How often do we look for God in situations where we don't want Him to be?  I didn't want the Holy Spirit reminding me that God loved Mr. Jenkins as much as He loved me. That night, as I said my prayers, though, I said an extra prayer for Mr. Jenkins, and you know what?  It felt GOOD.  It seems God knows what He is talking about when He tells us that we should love even those who don't love us.

ENCOUNTER:
Who are you impressed to pray for right now?  How will prayer change you?


No comments: